Thursday, August 25, 2011

@gop Rep. Steve Southerland (R-FL) collecting gov't salary of $174,000 year doesnt think it enough. fuck off. #p2 #tcot @tcot_talk

from http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/08/25/1010512/-Congressman-Steve-Southerland-hates-his-job?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dailykos%2Findex+%28Daily+Kos%29

Rep. Steve Southerland (R-FL)
Rep. Steve Southerland (R-FL)

Josh Marshall at Talking Points Memo:

At a townhall yesterday, when questioned about his salary, Rep. Steve Southerland (R-FL) played the Sean Duffy card, telling constituents it's a pretty lean salary given how many hours he puts in and the risks he runs.

"And by the way, did I mention? They're shooting at us," Southerland told constituents. "If you think this job pays too much, with those kinds of risks and cutting me off from my family business, I'll just tell you: This job don't mean that much to me. I had a good life in Panama City."

I don't know. $174,000 a year, plus healthcare, plus pension is I think a pretty good gig. And while he's saying his job is risky because one of his coworkers was indeed shot, well; I feel for him, but he should try working at a convenience store for a month or two and see how it compares. Or firefighter, or police officer, or as one of those soldiers who we insist are doin' just fine in Iraq and Afghanistan, and so wouldn't mind tour of duty number whatever. Or as one of those coddled factory workers that insist on being in pesky unions just because people used to keep losing arms into the machinery, or as a farm worker whose rights consist of working no matter how brutal the weather, getting paid sub-minimum wages, and getting fired or deported if they complain about any of it.

"Member of Congress" seems the sort of job that's a bit tacky to complain about, given how everyone else in the country works (or these days, doesn't work). I understand that everyone thinks they, personally, have it rougher than most people, but if Southerland really does think "this job does not mean that much to me," I hope in the next election we give it to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment