Monday, October 29, 2018

LeVar Burton Has a Message for Nonreaders Like Donald Trump

Star Trek needs to keep representing that hopeful vision of the future now more than ever. It's one of the reasons why I've always been attracted to Star Trek before my involvement and after. It was both the athezis and the antidote to the dystopian view of a future world. I'm an Aquarius by design, and that compels me to bet on the human race. As far as the movies themselves in the JJ Abrams timeline, I've noticed that it adheres less to that same value system, the same system I personally value. To me, Star Trek is at its best when it exudes the idea of exploration as expressed in the way Gene Roddenberry had always envisioned it. Which was of course the idea that there's this infinite scope of diversity among the infinite combinations of life within a universe that by definition, is diverse and forever infinite. Watching Star Trek was always a powerful reminder that the only moment we're getting off this planet to explore the outer reaches of space is when we get our shit together in the here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment