Monday, June 29, 2009

Workers Speak Out: Despite Calls for Reform, Wal-Mart Still Shortchanging Workers on Health Care

http://walmartwatch.com/blog/archives/workers_speak_out_despite_calls_for_reform_wal_mart_still_shortchanging_wor/

For years, we've heard hints that Wal-Mart might support a broad-based government health care plan. Now that health care reform is on the table, Wal-Mart is coming out in force to support it. One executive even wrote an op-ed in the The Tennessean recently about how:

Everyone must have access to quality, affordable health coverage, and businesses, individuals and governments must share responsibility for financing and managing a system that ensures we meet that goal.

But as you all know, Wal-Mart could have been helping the problem all along by putting some of its multi-billion-dollar profits into its health care plan.  At Wal-Mart Watch, we've heard for years from Wal-Mart employees that aren't eligible for the company plan, can't afford it - or have been somehow shortchanged by the plan. But there's no need to take our word for it - here's a sampling of what we've heard from real employees lately.

Is Wal-Mart serious about health care reform? Let us know in the blog comments below.

Wal-Mart's High Deductible Plans Are Only For Emergencies

I signed up for the Wal-Mart health insurance plan as soon as I was eligible, but after a few years, the price kept going UP UP UP and I had to trade down to the lower level insurance with a high deductible. Wal-Mart lies about its employees being insured under its plan. At my store, hardly anyone can afford to get the insurance. Some were on their spouse's insurance, some did without insurance at all, and some were on Medicaid.

When I was making just over $11 an hour, my insurance went from $170 to $240 every two weeks and I had to go with the lesser insurance, which really would only cover you for a catastrophe. Let's face it, you can't raise a family, let alone pay for health insurance and run a used car on $9 to $15 an hour like Wal-Mart pays its employees. Since I quit, I've found better insurance for about the same rate as I was paying for the inferior Wal-Mart insurance.

- Anonymous in New Jersey

I have insurance through Wal-Mart. It's not expensive - about $20.00 a month - but it has a high deductible and I can only afford to use it for emergencies. I can't afford to buy a plan with a smaller deductible because I can't afford to take $100.00 more out of my paycheck. Last year, they offered a plan like I have now, but with three doctors visits and a $20.00 co-pay. My 2-year-old is on state medical insurance because I can't afford to pay the high deductible on my insurance.

- Anonymous in Louisiana

Wal-Mart Health Care is Too Expensive, Employees Forced To Find Coverage Elsewhere

While working for Wal-Mart, I had to get health care coverage through a charity program connected to the Wheaton Franciscan health care system.  They pay 100% of my bills when I got to their facilities.  Their program has literally saved my life on a couple of occasions—once through surgery on my left foot and again when I had to have surgery to remove a cancerous tumor.  Thank God for these charity programs. Even though employees give their blood, sweat and tears to Wal-Mart, they won't do the same for you.  I had to be carried out on a stretcher with chest pains two years ago. I had a stress test, which thankfully came back negative, but I was told the chest pains were stress related. I wonder where the stress came from?

- P.F. in Wisconsin

I have worked for Wal-Mart for close to a year now and I have carefully read about all the different health plan choices they offer. To a person who makes a lot more than the average Wal-Mart employee, their plans might seem affordable.

My wife--who works for another company--makes three times more than I do and she only has to pay a fraction for comparable insurance. With over two million associates, half of them in the U.S., Wal-Mart should be able to provide much better plans than what they have now. For this reason, I'll stick with my wife's insurance.

- Anonymous in Illinois

Bankruptcy is the Only Way Out When Health Care Bills Stack Up

I worked for Wal-Mart for two years and paid for their health benefits. When I had to have surgery for a torn rotator cuff, Wal-Mart's insurance plan left me with $25,000 to pay out of my own pocket. The total bill was $40,000. I struggled to pay it off for a year and finally declared bankruptcy. Their health insurance is a sham and not worth signing up for.

- Carolyn Johansen

A Manager Confirms What We Already Know, Wal-Mart Plans Are Unaffordable

I have worked for Wal-Mart for three years as a Department Manager. I do have my insurance through Wal-Mart, and I don't think that it is very good. Unfortunately, the deductibles are high, and the coverage is very minimal. I see so many store associates who cannot even afford the insurance as minimal as it is...it's sad. I feel a company as big as Wal-Mart could make their insurance better and more affordable for all their associates.

- Anonymous Department Manager in Ohio

Posted by Eric Bull on Friday, June 26, 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment